A game I find fun is to ask someone, if you could eat only 10 foods for the rest of your life, what would you choose? The answers can be fun and illuminating. With 10 items, you obviously have to be pretty choosy, but there’s enough wiggle room to include a few personal favorites beyond the standard fare. Without a doubt, though, as many times I’ve ever asked this, I think the most universally-chosen item is PIZZA.
And really, is that any surprise? Of course pizza comes in all types and variety, but nearly everyone has a soft spot for it, whether thin-crust or deep-dish, simple with tomato sauce and a Pollock-esque smattering of mozzarella, or heaped with so many toppings that the crust buckles under their weight. Or, if you’re me, your soft spot extends to all of the above!
While good carry-out pizza is always welcome in my house, preparing my own pies at home has become a really fun option, too, and I love being able to experiment with toppings. This particular combination far surpassed our expectations. The combination of cheese, spices, chicken, and veggies just clicked. I just grilled and shredded a chicken breast to make this, but it would also be a great way to use up any leftover chicken from a rotisserie bird or any other dish. And of course you could leave off the chicken entirely for a meatless option.
Now tell me, what are some of your dessert island foods? Is pizza there? With what toppings??
Chicken Spinoccoli Pizza
Yield 1 large pizza
- pizza dough for 1 large pizza
- olive oil, for brushing
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1-1 1/2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F and place a pizza stone on the middle rack to preheat for at least 30 minutes. During this time, allow your dough to come to room temperature, then shape into a round or square pizza crust as desired. Lightly brush the outer edge of the crust with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup ricotta, then spread evenly over the crust. Sprinkle garlic powder, thyme, and oregano over the cheese. Layer with baby spinach, broccoli, and chicken, then top with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella.
- Transfer the pizza to the preheated stone and bake for 8-12 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before slicing and serving.