Simple Weeknight Marinara Sauce
Simple marinara sauce is a hero for busy weeknights. Six ingredients, 20 minutes, and you'll feel like a kitchen champion for making this classic seasoned tomato sauce from scratch.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 2 cups
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves - finely minced
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 28 ounce (800 grams) can crushed or “pulped” tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-2 bay leaves
- kosher salt and black pepper - to taste
Place oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a cold medium saucepan and warm over medium heat until the garlic becomes fragrant and just starts to sizzle, about 1 minute. Be careful not to let the garlic brown.
Pour the tomatoes into the pan, then add oregano, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (If sauce begins to bubble rapidly, reduce heat further.) Remove from heat, and remove bay leaves before serving.
- Sauce can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or frozen.
- Lightly adapted from Fox and Briar.
Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 525mg | Potassium: 1186mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 855IU | Vitamin C: 38.4mg | Calcium: 162mg | Iron: 5.6mg