Apple Cabbage Slaw with Brown Sugar Cider Vinaigrette
This apple cabbage slaw with a light, tangy vinaigrette dressing is the perfect side or salad to serve in the late summer and early fall!
For the Slaw:
- 3 cups thinly-sliced red cabbage
- 3 cups slaw mix (see recipe note 1)
- 1 medium apple - diced small (see recipe note 2)
- 1 medium carrot - peeled and cut into matchsticks
For the Dressing:
- 6 tbsp walnut oil (see recipe note 3)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp whole grain or Dijon mustard
- pinch fine sea salt
- a few turns of freshly-ground black pepper
To make the slaw, add cabbage, slaw, apple, and carrot to a large serving bowl; toss to combine.
To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid or a liquid measuring cup. Close tightly and shake, or whisk, until the mixture is smooth and emulsified into a uniform dressing. Dip a piece of cabbage or slaw into the dressing and sample; adjust salt, pepper, or other seasonings to taste.
Pour dressing immediately over the slaw and toss once more to combine; serve immediately.
- I love to use Trader Joe’s “Cruciferous Crunch,” which is a mix of shredded kale, Brussels sprouts, red and green cabbage.
- Tart, crisp apple varieties, like Honeycrisp, work especially well in this slaw.
- I love the rich taste walnut oil brings to this vinaigrette. I don’t always keep it in my pantry, though, and you may not, either! Feel free to substitute other oils, like extra-virgin olive, avocado, sunflower, etc!
- If you want to add a little crunch to this, try adding toasted walnuts or pecans!
Calories: 268kcal, Carbohydrates: 21g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 20g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 44mg, Potassium: 348mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 15g, Vitamin A: 3370IU, Vitamin C: 60.2mg, Calcium: 64mg, Iron: 0.9mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!