Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
Creamy wild rice soup is so easy to make. It's a set and forget situation!
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
Add at the end:
- 1 cup kale leaves, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk, any kind
Add all the soup base ingredients, carrots through rosemary, to the Instant Pot and stir to combine. Cover, seal the lid, and cook on manual/high pressure for 40 minutes. When finished, use the quick release function to vent steam. Open the lid and toss in the kale, leaving the Instant Pot on the keep warm setting.
To make the roux, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick and smooth.
Pour the roux into the Instant Pot, stir everything together to combine well, and serve. Enjoy!
- Soup keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- It can also be frozen! Freeze in a plastic container and be sure to leave some extra room, it will expand when frozen. Defrost in the fridge, then reheat in a saucepan. The soup might separate a little bit as it reheats, but keep stirring, and it will come back together.
Calories: 276kcal, Carbohydrates: 38g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 26mg, Sodium: 1146mg, Potassium: 628mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 8g, Vitamin A: 9955IU, Vitamin C: 19.1mg, Calcium: 127mg, Iron: 1.8mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!