Hearty Tortellini Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- kosher salt
- freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 carrots , peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken-flavored Better Than Bouillon (optional)
- 9 ounces refrigerated tortellini (any kind, we love cheese and/or spinach!)
- 2-3 handfuls fresh baby spinach (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Warm olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When hot, add chicken breasts, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until golden and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes each side. Remove to a cutting board and set aside.
Add carrots, celery, and onion to the pot, and saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and thyme, and cook 1 more minute, just until fragrant.
While the veggies cook, shred or cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. (see note)
Stir in the chicken broth, water, and Better than Bouillon, if using. Bring mixture to a boil, then add tortellini. Cook according to package directions, usually just 2-3 minutes. When 1 minute remains of the cooking time, add spinach and the shredded chicken. This will be just enough time for the spinach to wilt and the chicken to be warmed through. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley and serve right away. Enjoy!
- If you have a stand mixer, it’s very easy to shred chicken by adding the cooked chicken to the bowl and mixing for about 45 seconds on low speed with the beater blade.
- Soup can be frozen in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to six months.
Calories: 349kcal, Carbohydrates: 32g, Protein: 29g, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 71mg, Sodium: 648mg, Potassium: 683mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 7g, Vitamin A: 6855IU, Vitamin C: 5.1mg, Calcium: 93mg, Iron: 2.2mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!