Chicken Gyro Salad with Creamy Dill Dressing
Chicken gyro salads are healthy, easy, and packed full of bright, bold flavors! A lighter option for dinner or lunch, and perfectly portioned for two!
- 2 tsp olive oil divided
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp chopped fresh dill
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 cups fresh green leaf or mixed lettuce
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 7 oz. cucumber sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 pita breads quartered
To make the marinade, combine 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, oregano, cumin, and salt in a shallow bowl. Place the chicken in the marinade and turn it a few times to coat evenly. Set aside while you make the dressing.
To make the dressing, mix the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, dill, salt, and olive oil in a small bowl. Place in the refrigerator while you cook the chicken.
Prepare the chicken by heating the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken in the pan and brown on both sides for 4-5 minutes, just until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan and let it rest on a cutting board for a few minutes before cutting it into cubes or strips.
To assemble the salad, place the lettuce in a large bowl. Top it with the tomatoes, onion, cucumber, and chicken. Drizzle the dressing over the top and sprinkle with parsley and cheese. Serve with pita bread. Enjoy!
- Greek or plain yogurt will work for the dressing. Once you get it mixed together, if you use Greek yogurt and want a thinner dressing, it's easy to adjust the consistency to taste by adding a bit more olive oil and/or lemon juice.
- Pro tip: to soften the bite of red onion, soak the cut pieces in a small bowl of cold water for 10-15 minutes, then drain and add to the salad. So simple and converts all the red onion skeptics!
- Recipe reprinted with permission from Gourmet Cooking for One or Two, by April Anderson.
Calories: 301kcal, Carbohydrates: 35g, Protein: 13g, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 19mg, Sodium: 820mg, Potassium: 157mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 80IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 196mg, Iron: 1.3mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!