Creamy Crockpot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Craving comfort? This is the perfect recipe! Tender veggies, pillowy gnocchi, and a velvety broth that everyone loves, all made together in your slow cooker or crockpot.
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3-4 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 1-2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10-12 cranks freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 12 ounce cans evaporated milk
- 1 1 lb. package potato gnocchi mini if you can find them
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 slices cooked bacon optional, to serve
Place the raw chicken, chopped onion, carrots, celery, minced garlic, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a large crockpot or slow cooker. Pour chicken stock or broth on top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
While keeping the crockpot on, shred the chicken, either directly in the pot or by removing to a cutting board. It will be ready to fall apart easily. If you took the chicken out to shred, return the pieces to the crockpot.
In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the cornstarch and cold water to make a thick slurry. Scrape that into the crockpot, along with both cans of evaporated milk and the gnocchi. Stir well to combine, then re-cover the crockpot and cook for another 20-30 minutes. The soup should be slightly thickened; the gnocchi, tender.
Just before serving, stir in the spinach and let it wilt for 2-3 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with crumbled cooked bacon or fresh herbs for garnish. Enjoy!
- Be very sure to use cold water when making the cornstarch slurry. Adding cornstarch directly to a hot or warm liquid can lead to clumps or a gritty texture.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, try increasing the amount of cornstarch and water to 3 tablespoons each. You can also simply let the soup cook longer after adding the milk and gnocchi, with or without the crockpot lid.
- If the soup becomes too thick for your taste, simply add water or additional broth, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring well.
Serving: 1cup, Calories: 273kcal, Carbohydrates: 30g, Protein: 20g, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 52mg, Sodium: 616mg, Potassium: 625mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 8g, Vitamin A: 4090IU, Vitamin C: 7mg, Calcium: 228mg, Iron: 3mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!