Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onions
Make this easy Italian sausage, peppers, and onions recipe for maximum flavor and minimal effort! Serve in sandwiches or over potatoes or pasta for a soul-warming 30 minute meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 ounces Italian sausage sweet, hot, or mild
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion yellow, red, or white, sliced
- 2-3 bell peppers any colors, seeded and sliced into long strips
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes including juices
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6-8 cranks freshly-ground black pepper
- fresh parsley and basil optional, to garnish
Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage links and cook for 2-3 minutes, turning frequently. Remove when they are browned on the outside, but not yet cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly, then slice the links into 1-2” pieces.
In the same skillet, melt the butter, then add sliced onions and peppers. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds more, just until fragrant. Stir in the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, scraping the bottom of the skillet to release any browned bits.
Bring everything to a simmer, then return the sliced sausages to the pan. Cover and cook about 5 minutes, reducing the heat if needed - the bubbling shouldn’t be too vigorous. Uncover and cook 2-3 minutes more, until the liquid is slightly reduced and the sausage is cooked through. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and basil, if desired, and serve right away.
- As written, you'll have some sauce in the pan along with the cooked sausages and veggies when the dish is finished. We love this for drizzling over any side dishes or mopping up with some crusty bread. If you prefer to reduce the amount of sauce for any reason, drain the tomatoes before adding them to the skillet.
Calories: 603kcal, Carbohydrates: 13g, Protein: 23g, Fat: 51g, Saturated Fat: 18g, Cholesterol: 115mg, Sodium: 1523mg, Potassium: 762mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 2083IU, Vitamin C: 92mg, Calcium: 85mg, Iron: 3mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!