Salmon Pesto Pasta
This salmon pesto pasta recipe comes together quickly into a comforting yet elegant and healthy one-bowl meal. Roasting the salmon delivers the best light flavor and texture, and using either homemade or jarred pesto makes this flexible and weeknight-friendly.
- 1 pound salmon filet
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 pound penne or any other pasta shape you enjoy
- 1 cup pesto jarred or homemade
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and place the salmon filet on a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle it with the olive oil and lemon juice, then sprinkle it lightly with kosher salt and black pepper. Roast salmon for 12-14 minutes. For a slightly crispy top, move the baking sheet to the top rack and turn the oven to broil for the last 1-2 minutes of cooking time, but watch it closely. Remove salmon when done and set aside.
While salmon cooks, bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Cook pasta to al dente according to package directions. Reserve a bit of the pasta water in case you want it to loosen the sauce, then drain.
Return drained pasta to the pot and add pesto, Parmesan, and a pinch of black pepper. Stir well to combine. If you prefer a looser sauce, stir in reserved pasta water a splash at a time until it reaches your desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired (you may want to add a pinch of salt or a squeeze of lemon juice, for example.)
Using a fork, break up the cooked salmon into bite-sized pieces. Either mix into the pasta in the pot, or serve the pasta and top with salmon separately. Enjoy!
- Two of our favorite homemade versions are this classic basil pesto with lemon zest and this stealthy-healthy zucchini basil pesto with spinach. Both are excellent in this dish!
- As written, this recipe yields 6 generous servings. You can also reduce the amount of pasta to just 12 or even 8 ounces. In that case, just eyeball and use a little bit less of the other ingredients.
Calories: 590kcal, Carbohydrates: 60g, Protein: 30g, Fat: 24g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 52mg, Sodium: 552mg, Potassium: 549mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 936IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 184mg, Iron: 2mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!