Lemon Olive Oil Zucchini Muffins
Incredibly moist and tender, with a light crumb and fresh lemon flavor. The perfect use for your garden fresh zucchini. Make them for grab-and-go breakfasts or tasty snacks!
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice from 1 large lemon
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour can sub an extra 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated zucchini see note
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat a muffin tin with baking spray or line with paper cups. (This recipe usually yields 10 regular-sized muffins.)
In a large bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Rub the mixture together for a minute between your fingers, so the zest incorporates into the sugar and infuses it with flavor. Add oil, eggs, and lemon juice, and whisk until well-combined.
Sprinkle flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt over the batter. Add zucchini and fold gently until the batter is evenly mixed.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 of the way to the top. Bake at 425 for 5 minutes, then, without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 350 and bake for another 12-14 minutes. When done, the muffins will be lightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the centers will come out clean.
Let cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cooking Tip: There is no need to squeeze extra water out of the zucchini for this recipe. The other ingredients absorb the moisture perfectly. This is one of the reasons I love it!
- Storage: Muffins keep well at room temperature at least 2-3 days. I usually store them in an airtight container, leaving the zipper or lid slightly cracked, because they are very moist and this prevents any build-up of water droplets.
- Freezer: Yes, these can be frozen! Store in a freezer-safe ziplock or plastic storage container for 2-3 months. You can defrost as a batch on the counter overnight – crack the container to avoid excess condensation inside – or individually by warming in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Quick Bread Variation: You can also bake this as a quick bread; follow the same instructions, and bake in an 8x4-inch loaf pan at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes.
Calories: 234kcal, Carbohydrates: 29g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 33mg, Sodium: 185mg, Potassium: 85mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 15g, Vitamin A: 72IU, Vitamin C: 3mg, Calcium: 21mg, Iron: 1mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!