Lemon Thyme Chicken
Meet your new favorite weeknight dinner! A no-fail method for quickly-cooked chicken breasts, paired with a simple sauce of garlic, herbs, white wine, and citrus.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves minced (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth (I usually use low-sodium)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons butter
Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place the flour in a shallow bowl or plate, then lightly dredge each piece of chicken through it to coat, shaking gently to remove any excess.
Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute for 2-3 minutes per side, until cooked through and lightly golden. Remove the chicken to a plate, cover with foil, and set aside.
If the pan looks extremely dry, add a tiny bit more olive oil. Add garlic and thyme to the skillet and sauté for about 1 minute, just until fragrant.
Add wine and scrape the bottom of the skillet to loosen any browned bits, then stir in the chicken broth. Bring the liquid to a simmer, and cook until the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened, 5-6 minutes. Add the lemon juice, followed by the butter, and stir until butter is melted. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Spoon the sauce over the chicken to serve.
- If you can, it really helps to allow your chicken to rest at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before you begin cooking it. Stone cold chicken breasts tend to cook less evenly, i.e. they can be overcooked and dry on the outside by the time they are fully cooked on the inside.
- If your chicken pieces are very thick, or if they are noticeably uneven, try slicing them in half through the middle before seasoning and cooking. (aka "butterflying" the chicken.) This will also help them cook more evenly and quickly!
- Recipe adapted from Taste of Home and Everyday Annie.
Calories: 405kcal, Carbohydrates: 9g, Protein: 50g, Fat: 15g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 160mg, Sodium: 909mg, Potassium: 905mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 290IU, Vitamin C: 5mg, Calcium: 22mg, Iron: 2mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!