Strawberry Rhubarb Oat Crumble Bars
Everyone loves these delicious treats! Quick and easy to make, with vibrant fruit, wholesome oats, and a generous fruit-to-crumble ratio. Perfect for spring dessert, parties, potlucks, and more.
- 2 cups (280 grams) sliced strawberries
- 2 cups (220 grams) sliced rhubarb 1/2" slices
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons (15 grams) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (80 grams) old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (110 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (95 grams) brown sugar either light or dark
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
To make the filling, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and vanilla in a medium saucepan and stir gently. Cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes, until the rhubarb is tender, the strawberries begin to break down, and the juices thicken slightly. Set aside to cool slightly.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). For easy removal, line an 8” or 9" square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. (No need if you plan to serve bars straight from the pan.)
To make the crumble, melt butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Stir in the oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, and salt. Press roughly half the crumble mixture tightly and evenly into the bottom of the baking pan.
Spread the fruit filling evenly over the bottom layer, then scatter the remaining crumble mixture over the fruit. (Don’t worry if there are gaps in the topping.)
Bake 30-40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbly and the crumble is golden. Let cool in the pan for at least 4 hours at room temperature, or 1-2 hours in the fridge to ensure bars can be removed intact. Cut into squares and serve.
- Bars keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. They are fine at room temperature for several hours, if you're taking them to a picnic or a potluck.
Serving: 1square, Calories: 128kcal, Carbohydrates: 20g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 11mg, Sodium: 40mg, Potassium: 105mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 10g, Vitamin A: 145IU, Vitamin C: 12.1mg, Calcium: 26mg, Iron: 0.6mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!