Cornmeal Cheddar Chipotle Waffles
Serve up these cornmeal cheddar chipotle waffles with salsa and a fried egg for the ultimate breakfast for dinner - side of bacon optional!
For the Waffles:
- 1 cup (140 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (150 grams) stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces (115 grams) sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups (420 mililiters) buttermilk
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce minced and seeded
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1-2 tablespoons minced chives to taste
Preheat a waffle iron. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, sea salt, and baking soda. Add the cheese and toss to combine, using the whisk or your hands to break up any large clumps.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until well combined, then whisk in the buttermilk and stir in the chipotle chili. Slowly stir in the butter. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, and fold gently just until the batter is evenly moistened. Add the chives and fold again gently.
Pour a generous 1/2 cup of the batter (or the recommended amount for your iron!) into the waffle iron, and use a rubber spatula to spread the batter close to the edges. Close the lid and bake the waffle until deep golden brown. Remove waffle and plate immediately or transfer to the oven. (See note below.) Top with salsa and a fried egg, or any other fixings your heart desires.
- If you would like to serve all the waffles at once, keep them warm and crisp in the oven until you’re ready to eat. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C), position a wire rack in the middle position, and transfer cooked waffles directly from the waffle iron to the wire rack until it’s time to serve.
- If you have a few minutes to spare, allow the waffle batter to rest after you fold in the chives and before you begin pouring it into the iron. This is not strictly necessary, but I have found nearly every waffle batter, this one included, yields a finished product with a nicer texture if allowed to rest for a few minutes at this stage.
Calories: 383kcal, Carbohydrates: 31g, Protein: 15g, Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Cholesterol: 247mg, Sodium: 404mg, Potassium: 342mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 805IU, Vitamin C: 0.2mg, Calcium: 242mg, Iron: 2.5mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!