Luscious Strawberry Banana Muffins
Strawberry banana muffins are a sweet treat for breakfast, brunch, or snacks. Mix them quickly by hand in one bowl with Greek yogurt and over-ripe or frozen bananas. A fun contribution to your daily fruit intake!
- 2 large bananas very ripe or frozen and defrosted
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries rinsed and thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C), and prepare a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a spatula or fork until they are soft and mostly smooth. Add the egg, melted butter, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract; stir to combine.
Sprinkle the 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt on top of the banana mixture, and fold gently with a spatula just until the flour is mostly incorporated. (A few streaks are OK!)
Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon flour over the sliced strawberries and toss briefly to coat. (This helps prevent the berries from sinking to the bottom of each muffin well.) Gently fold the strawberries into the batter.
Divide batter among the 12 muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are lightly golden and a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow muffins to rest in the pans for 5-10 muffins, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- You can make these with either very ripe bananas or with bananas that have been frozen whole and then defrosted. I've done both and had great results each way.
- Depending on the size of your muffin wells, you may have a small amount of leftover batter, which you could certainly make into additional muffins, regular- or mini-sized, if you were so inclined. :)
- If you want to be sure the muffin tops have attractive strawberries front and center, reserve a handful of sliced strawberries after tossing them in the flour, and arrange 1 or 2 by hand on top of each muffin after you pour the batter into the well.
Calories: 172kcal, Carbohydrates: 30g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 24mg, Sodium: 92mg, Potassium: 181mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 15g, Vitamin A: 160IU, Vitamin C: 12.3mg, Calcium: 37mg, Iron: 1mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!