One-Pot Curry Cashew Chicken and Rice
Meet one of my family's most-requested one-pot meals: curry cashew chicken and rice. They love it for the delicious mix of flavors - tender bites of chicken, crunchy cashews, curry, cilantro, peas, and fresh ginger. I love it even more because it's ready in about 30 minutes, and most of that is hands-off time!
- 1 1/2 lbs (750 grams) chicken breasts cut into pieces approximately 1 inch long
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (220 grams) basmati or long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup (90 grams) golden raisins
- finely grated zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 cup (155 grams) frozen baby peas
- 1/2 cup (20 grams) fresh cilantro minced
- 1/2-1 cup (90-180 grams) roasted cashews coarsely chopped
Season the chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed skillet, warm the oil over medium-high heat, then saute the chicken pieces, turning occasionally, until they are lightly browned on all sides, 4-5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
Add the ginger and curry powder to the pot and cook until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Stir in the broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, then add the rice, raisins, lemon zest and juice, and an additional 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pot.
Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the broth is absorbed, rice is tender, and chicken is cooked throughout. Remove pan from the heat, stir in the peas, re-cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes, until peas are warmed through.
Sprinkle cilantro and cashews over the dish, stir to combine, and serve immediately. Any leftovers will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Calories: 413kcal, Carbohydrates: 42g, Protein: 30g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 72mg, Sodium: 497mg, Potassium: 771mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 9g, Vitamin A: 310IU, Vitamin C: 19.6mg, Calcium: 40mg, Iron: 2.3mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!