Spicy Black Bean Tacos with Corn and Pico de Gallo
A favorite meatless meal - spicy black bean tacos kicked up with cayenne and chipotle chili powder, mingled with crunchy corn kernels and topped with fresh pico de gallo.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans drained and rinsed (approximately 3 cups)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- juice of 1 lime
- generous handful fresh cilantro chopped
Warm the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and jalapeno to the warm oil and saute about 5 minutes, just until the often begins to soften. Stir in the garlic, salt, cumin, chipotle powder, and cayenne and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in the beans, followed quickly by the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and add the corn. Simmer until the beans are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the lime juice and chopped cilantro, and adjust seasonings to taste.
Assemble tacos as desired and serve.
If you have any leftover bean mixture, it makes terrific quesadillas, and is also yummy mixed into scrambled eggs for a protein-rich breakfast or lunch!
Calories: 390kcal, Carbohydrates: 71g, Protein: 15g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 1462mg, Potassium: 593mg, Fiber: 12g, Sugar: 10g, Vitamin A: 545IU, Vitamin C: 10.6mg, Calcium: 93mg, Iron: 4.6mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!