Caramel-Stuffed Molasses Cookies
Chewy brown sugar molasses cookie dough wrapped around a soft caramel, baked to a soft batch consistency, and sprinkled with sea salt. Irresistible!
- 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons, 170 grams) unsalted butter divided
- 2 1/4 cups (270 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt plus more for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 cups (320 grams) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 18 unwrapped soft candy caramels
Melt 8 tablespoons (113 grams) of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Continue to cook, stirring or swirling the pan frequently, for 1-3 minutes, until the butter foams and then turns a dark golden color. Remove immediately from the heat and allow to cool for about 1 minute.
Break the remaining 4 tablespoons (57 grams) butter into a few pieces and add it to the pan with the browned butter. Stir until completely melted, and set aside to cool for 3-4 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Line cookie sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper, and set aside.
Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl; set aside.
When butter has cooled, add brown sugar to the pan, followed by the molasses, and whisk to combine. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract, and whisk again until evenly combined. Sprinkle the dry ingredients over the butter-sugar mixture, and fold with a spatula or wooden spoon just until the dough comes together and is evenly combined.
Scoop out 1 tablespoon of dough and place a caramel on top. Add another tablespoon of dough on top of the caramel, and roll the whole package into a ball, making sure the caramel is completely covered by dough. Repeat with remaining dough and caramels.
Place cookies about 3 inches apart on cookie sheets, and bake for 11-13 minutes, just until golden brown. (It’s OK if they look slightly underbaked; they will continue to set up a bit after being removed from the oven.) Let cool for about 10 minutes on cookie sheets before transferring cookies to wire racks. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. (They won’t last that long!)
- If you live in the US, Kraft or Werther’s soft caramels will work well for this. If you live in Europe, Lutti milk caramels work beautifully.
- Recipe inspired by and adapted from these caramel-stuffed brown sugar beauties at Carlsbad Cravings, which were in turn adapted from a Cooks Illustrated “Best Desserts Ever” special. I really loved this concept and wanted to incorporate molasses, so my changes are designed to 1.) reduce the sugar and alter the ratio of dry to liquid ingredients to account for the molasses, and 2.) reduce the number of bowls you'll get dirty!
Calories: 254kcal, Carbohydrates: 41g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 40mg, Sodium: 131mg, Potassium: 142mg, Sugar: 27g, Vitamin A: 270IU, Calcium: 48mg, Iron: 1.2mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!