Grandma's Classic French Cocoa
Perfectly creamy French cocoa, handed down with piles of love straight from Grandma! Make a big batch of the base and store in the fridge, and the most delicious homemade hot cocoa becomes so easy to make on-demand!
- 2 1/2 ounces (70 grams) unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup (135 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (235 ml) heavy cream
- hot milk for serving
In a small saucepan over low heat, combine chocolate and water, stirring frequently until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Add sugar and salt; stir well.
Increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 4 minutes, then set aside and let mixture cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, whip the heavy cream to soft peaks. When chocolate mixture has cooled, fold in the whipped cream, then store in the fridge.
When ready to serve, place 1-2 heaping tablespoons of the cocoa mixture in each mug, and top with steaming milk. Stir well and top with marshmallows if desired.
- The hot cocoa mix will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 7-10 days.
- Nutrition info is an estimate based on dividing the mix into 12 servings, and combining each with 1 cup of hot milk per mug.
Serving: 1cup of cocoa, Calories: 289kcal, Carbohydrates: 25g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Cholesterol: 51mg, Sodium: 211mg, Potassium: 385mg, Sugar: 23g, Vitamin A: 685IU, Vitamin C: 0.1mg, Calcium: 295mg, Iron: 1.1mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!