Caraway Irish Soda Bread Muffins
Hearty Irish soda bread muffins packed with the flavor of caraway seeds. So easy to make for breakfast, snacks, or a festive side to go with your St. Patrick's Day feast.
- 1 and 1/2 cups (180 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (85 grams) white whole wheat flour can substitute additional all-purpose
- 1/3 cup (67 grams) granulated sugar plus extra for topping
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) butter melted
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C). Lightly grease a standard muffin pan, and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, caraway seeds, salt, and baking soda.
In a separate large bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and melted butter.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir gently to combine. Do not overmix; stop as soon as the batter is evenly moistened.
Divide batter evenly among the prepared muffin wells, filling each about 3/4 full. The batter will be stiff and form small mounds in the wells. Sprinkle a small amount of additional white sugar on top of each muffin, if desired.
Bake for 20-24 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove pan from the oven, and gently tip the muffins in the pan; this prevents the bottoms from getting soggy. After 5-10 minutes, remove muffins to cool directly on a wire rack. Serve slightly warm, with butter.
- Storage: These taste best the day they are made, but can be kept at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days.
- No buttermilk? It's OK to substitute Greek yogurt or sour cream in this recipe.
- Low on butter? Substitute 1/3 cup of canola or another neutral cooking oil.
- Recipe: Adapted, slightly, from King Arthur Flour.
Calories: 172kcal, Carbohydrates: 24g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 30mg, Sodium: 196mg, Potassium: 124mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 230IU, Calcium: 64mg, Iron: 1mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!