Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Homemade enchilada sauce is so easy to make and adapt to suit your own tastes, plus it's simple to prepare a big batch and freeze to simplify future dinner prep. Make this once and you'll never buy over-priced, over-processed enchilada sauce at the store again!
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium preferred
Before you get started, combine all the seasonings--chili powder through oregano--in a small bowl or prep dish. (The sauce comes together quickly and you'll want to have them all ready to go.)
Warm oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, then whisk in the flour until smooth and thick, approximately 1 minute.
Stir in the seasonings, then gradually whisk in chicken broth. Allow to bubble, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, whisking occasionally, until the sauce is a deep red and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Use immediately, refrigerate for 3-4 days, or freeze for 3-4 months!
- This sauce is highly adaptable! Possible variations include adding 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste (whisk it into the butter-flour mixture before adding the rest of the seasonings) for more of a tomato flavor, or 1-2 teaspoons ground chipotle chili powder (just add along with the other spices) for a smokier flavor. You could also add some chopped fresh tomatoes and/or cook a small amount of chopped onion in the oil before adding the rest of the ingredients if you want a slightly chunky sauce!
- This should stay good in the freezer for 3-4 months. That said, the longest I’ve ever managed to keep this sauce in the freezer before using it is about 3 weeks - we really like enchiladas! Simply defrost in the fridge for about 24 hours before using.
- Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven.
Calories: 311kcal, Carbohydrates: 20g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 24g, Saturated Fat: 17g, Sodium: 916mg, Potassium: 532mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 4745IU, Calcium: 62mg, Iron: 4.1mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!