Creamy Pasta Primavera
Celebrate spring with a quick and easy creamy pasta primavera! It has a tangy, light sauce, colorful veggies, and best of all, it's ready in 20 minutes!
- 12 ounces pasta (pappardelle or another egg-enriched pasta works especially well)
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 medium shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh shelled English peas
- kosher salt
- freshly-ground black pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 cups arugula
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or creme fraiche
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
Boil water in a large pot, add salt, and cook pasta according to package directions until just short of al dente. When finished, scoop out about 1 cup of the cooking water, set that aside, and drain the rest.
While the pasta is cooking, prepare the veggies. Trim any stringy ends off the sugar snap peas, and cut them into pieces about 1” long. Trim the thick, white ends off the asparagus, and cut the rest into pieces about 2” long. Peel and finely chop the shallot and garlic.
Melt butter in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the cut sugar snap peas and asparagus, shallot, garlic, and frozen or English peas. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook for 3-4 minutes, just until the veggies are slightly tender. Turn the heat down to low.
Add cooked pasta to the skillet, and toss to mix everything together. Stir in a generous squeeze of lemon juice and the arugula, letting the arugula wilt with the residual heat of the pasta and veggies.
Stir in the Parmesan and Greek yogurt. Add a little of the reserved pasta water, if desired, to thin the sauce out to your desired consistency. Season with more salt and pepper to taste, and garnish as desired with basil, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Serve right away.
Technique adapted from NY Times Cooking.
- This recipe makes 3-4 servings. It is pretty filling, but if you want to add a bit more protein, you can serve it alongside some grilled chicken or shrimp.
- Feel free to leave or swap out any of the veggies depending on your own family's preferences. The overall directions remain the same!
Calories: 478kcal, Carbohydrates: 71g, Protein: 21g, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 27mg, Sodium: 286mg, Potassium: 372mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 860IU, Vitamin C: 23.7mg, Calcium: 266mg, Iron: 2.3mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!