Kicked-Up Skillet Black Beans
An easy and versatile recipe for spicy black beans. This is the perfect Mexican side dish, and also makes a delicious filling for tacos or quesadillas!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 small bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- squeeze of lime juice & sprinkle of cilantro to serve
Warm olive oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño. Sauté about 5 minutes, until the veggies begin to soften. Stir in the salt, cumin, and chipotle powder.
Stir in the beans and broth. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently until the beans are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 7 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in a squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro leaves. Serve and enjoy!
Calories: 42kcal, Carbohydrates: 3g, Fat: 2g, Sodium: 235mg, Potassium: 117mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 1040IU, Vitamin C: 43.1mg, Calcium: 9mg, Iron: 0.6mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!