Summer Vegetable Chili
Turn all that glorious late summer produce into a lighter, healthier version of everyone’s favorite comfort food! Casually-vegan and totally delicious.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bell peppers any color, seeded and diced
- 1 poblano chile seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 jalapeno chile seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 zucchini diced
- 12 ounces frozen corn
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes fire-roasted preferred
- to serve, as desired: chopped fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, sour cream
Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven or stock pot set over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, poblano and jalapenos (if using), onion, garlic, and salt. Sauté for 4 minutes, just until the veggies begin to soften. Add the chili powder, oregano, cumin, and cayenne, and cook for 1 minute more.
Add the zucchini, corn, beans, stock, and tomatoes to the pot. Stir to combine.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then stir again and reduce the heat to medium-low. The chili should maintain a low simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender and the chili thickens up, about 20 minutes.
Give everything one more good stir to combine. Taste and add a pinch more salt, if desired. Ladle the chili into bowls and serve with a sprinkling of cilantro, sour cream, avocado, or other toppings as desired.
To make in the Instant Pot:
Adapted from The Essential Vegan Instant Pot Cookbook by Coco Morante.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté; add olive oil, bell peppers, poblano and jalapenos (if using), onion, garlic, and salt. Sauté for 4 minutes, just until the veggies begin to soften. Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, and cayenne; cook for 1 minute more.
- Add zucchini, corn, beans, and stock; stir to combine. Pour tomatoes and their liquid on top; don't stir.
- Cover, seal the lid, and cook on manual/high pressure for 5 minutes. When finished, use the quick release function to vent the steam, carefully open the lid, and stir. Adjust seasoning to taste, and serve!
Calories: 227kcal, Carbohydrates: 39g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 717mg, Potassium: 933mg, Fiber: 10g, Sugar: 9g, Vitamin A: 3089IU, Vitamin C: 120mg, Calcium: 99mg, Iron: 4mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!