Instant Pot Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes
The fluffiest, creamiest, and most buttery mashed potatoes are yours without having to babysit a pot of boiling water, and with an easy option to keep them warm as long as needed. Mashed potatoes used to be a big hassle, and this recipe changed the game!
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 6 whole cloves garlic peeled
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- fresh rosemary, thyme, chives, or parsley for optional garnish
Peel and chop potatoes into pieces 1-2 inches thick, then place in the Instant Pot. Add garlic and sprinkle with salt, rosemary, and thyme. Pour water on top, cover, seal, and cook for 8 minutes on manual/high pressure. While the potatoes cook, melt the butter in a large liquid measuring cup, then add the sour cream and cream cheese and set aside.
When the 8 minutes are up, use the quick release function to vent the steam, and leave the pot on “keep warm.”
Carefully open the lid and lift out the insert. Drain the potatoes, return them to the pot, and mash thoroughly with a potato masher or large spatula. This should be easy - they’ll be very soft and ready to fall apart.
Scoop in the butter, sour cream, and cream cheese, and mix vigorously with a spatula to incorporate. Taste and add more salt, if desired. Garnish as desired and serve!
- Either reduced or full-fat sour cream and cream cheese are fine, use whichever you prefer.
- The finished potatoes are fine on the “keep warm” setting for at least an hour. If it’s much longer than that, or if you’re reheating from the fridge, add a splash of milk and stir well to lighten things back up.
Calories: 303kcal, Carbohydrates: 43g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 36mg, Sodium: 832mg, Potassium: 984mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 423IU, Vitamin C: 14mg, Calcium: 61mg, Iron: 2mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!