Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
An easy-to-make Instant Pot broccoli cheddar soup that's soul-warming, delicious, and healthy! Perfect to see you and yours through chilly nights!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 18 ounces broccoli florets about 4 cups
- 12 ounces cauliflower florets about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried, plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- a few turns freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 cups veggie or chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Set Instant Pot to the sauté function, and add olive oil, butter, onion, and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes, until fragrant and slightly softened. Add broccoli, cauliflower, thyme, nutmeg, salt, cayenne, and black pepper, followed by the broth. Cover, seal, and cook for 8 minutes on manual/high pressure.
When finished, use the quick release function to vent steam. Puree the soup using an immersion blender, or transfer to a regular blender, puree, then return to the Instant Pot. (An immersion blender is so much easier here!)
With the Instant Pot on the keep warm setting, stir in the milk and cheese. Let sit for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and smooth.
Serve with fresh thyme, bread, or crackers as desired. Enjoy!
- The cooking time of 30 minutes includes an estimated 10 minutes for your Instant Pot/pressure cooker to come to pressure. If yours is faster, this might be less!
- Recipe adapted from Half Baked Harvest - added carrots, swapped cauliflower in, zucchini out, and slightly altered the method for mixing in milk and cheese.
Calories: 266kcal, Carbohydrates: 11g, Protein: 13g, Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 47mg, Sodium: 723mg, Potassium: 508mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 3530IU, Vitamin C: 82.1mg, Calcium: 347mg, Iron: 1.4mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!