Quick Bourbon Chicken
Tender pieces of chicken with a crispy exterior, coated in an irresistible sweet and sticky sauce.
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. cornstarch divided
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. bourbon optional
- 1 clove garlic minced or pressed
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. canola, vegetable, or coconut oil
- rice for serving
- steamed broccoli for serving
Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cornstarch, toss briefly to coat, and set aside.
In a separate bowl or large liquid measuring cup, combine the chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, bourbon (if using), garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and remaining 1 teaspoon cornstarch. Whisk until smooth and set aside.
Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it is hot and rippling. Add chicken pieces and cook for about 1 minute on each side, just until the outside edges are golden. The chicken should not be cooked all the way through. Remove pieces to a plate and set aside.
If there is a lot of oil left in the skillet, soak up a bit with a paper towel and discard. Lower the heat to medium, pour in the sauce, and bring it to a simmer. Return chicken to the pan and stir to coat each piece of meat with the sauce.
Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick, almost syrupy. Serve with rice, broccoli, and/or other veggies. Enjoy!
- This recipe also works well with chicken tenders, if you prefer.
- Any leftovers keep well for 2-3 days and make a great reheated lunch! Store in airtight containers in the fridge.
Calories: 331kcal, Carbohydrates: 30g, Protein: 26g, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 73mg, Sodium: 929mg, Potassium: 544mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 20g, Vitamin A: 118IU, Vitamin C: 2mg, Calcium: 25mg, Iron: 1mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!