Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
A simple recipe for creamy roasted tomato basil soup, full of flavor and naturally thickened without heavy cream or cream cheese. When I'm really craving the perfect tomato soup, this is the one!
- 3 pounds (about 1.5 kgs) ripe tomatoes halved with seeds removed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 12-14 cranks freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 28 ounces (800 grams) canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 2-3 cups fresh basil leaves roughly torn
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups (950 ml) low-sodium chicken or veggie broth
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 C). In a large bowl, combine the tomato halves, 1/4 cup of olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper; toss to combine. Spread out the tomato halves on a rimmed baking sheet, and roast for about 35 minutes. Set aside. (This step can be done several hours in advance.)
In a Dutch oven or large stockpot over medium heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onions to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook just until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Stir in the canned tomatoes, roasted tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken broth. Bring the entire mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes.
Use an immersion blender, standard blender, or food processor to puree the soup until smooth, and serve.
- Storage and freezing: This soup keeps extremely well. Store in the fridge for 4-5 days, or freeze for 3-4 months and defrost overnight in the fridge.
- Recipe: Adapted, as so very many good things are, from Ina Garten.
Calories: 129kcal, Carbohydrates: 15g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 734mg, Potassium: 656mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 8g, Vitamin A: 1888IU, Vitamin C: 36mg, Calcium: 72mg, Iron: 2mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!