Easy Spinach Strawberry Salad with Feta
For the salad
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 quart strawberries hulled and quartered
- 2 clementine or mandarin oranges peeled and segmented
- 1/2 cup candied walnuts
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon smooth dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- a few turns freshly-ground black pepper
To prepare the dressing, combine all ingredients—vinegar, oil, honey, poppy seeds, mustard, salt, and pepper—in a mason jar or liquid measuring cup. Shake or whisk until thoroughly-combined. Set aside.
To assemble the salad, combine spinach, strawberries, and oranges in a large serving bowl. Pour on about half the dressing, and toss to combine. The spinach should be lightly coated. Add the walnuts and feta, toss lightly, and serve, with extra dressing on the side as desired.
- As written, this salad yields about 4 small side servings. If making as a main meal component, I suggest scaling it up.
- If preparing the salad ahead, be sure to add the dressing just before serving. Prepared dressing can be stored in a jar or other airtight container in the fridge for up to a week; just shake well to recombine before serving.
- Walnuts can be easily subbed for candied pecans or slivered almonds. I love this salad best with candied nuts, and they are available off the shelf at most major grocery stores. But if you prefer, it’s also delicious with “regular” nuts lightly toasted in a skillet over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. For a nut-free option, toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds are nice.
- Strawberries not in season? Try the same recipe with blueberries, blackberries, dried cranberries, or dried apricots.
- Nutrition information is an estimate based on dividing these ingredients into 4 servings and using about half of the dressing.
Calories: 246kcal, Carbohydrates: 38g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 4mg, Sodium: 324mg, Potassium: 884mg, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 25g, Vitamin A: 6840IU, Vitamin C: 193.9mg, Calcium: 182mg, Iron: 3.4mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!