Honey Chipotle BBQ Chicken
Everyone raves about this sweet and spicy honey chipotle chicken! Perfect for the grill but easy to make indoors, as well.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1-2 whole chipotle chiles plus 1/4 cup adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 10 garlic cloves peeled and whole
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- juice of 2 limes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- fresh chopped cilantro optional, for serving
First, make the sauce: Combine olive oil, chiles, adobo sauce, honey, mustard, brown sugar, garlic, cumin, and lime juice in a blender or food processor. Blend on high speed until smooth. Reserve about 1/3 of the sauce and store in the fridge.
Prep the chicken: Season the chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper, then place them in a large bowl and pour the remaining sauce on top. Turn chicken pieces, if needed, to be sure they’re fully coated. Cover bowl tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 24.
Grill: When ready, remove chicken from the fridge. Discard the sauce in which the chicken was marinating, and take out the reserved sauce to use on the BBGrill chicken over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes, flipping halfway through, and basting occasionally with the reserved sauce. Cook to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Serve, sprinkled with cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
- If making this chicken indoors, lightly coat a large grill pan or cast iron skillet with additional olive oil and bring to medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken pieces, and cook as directed, turning and basting occasionally.
- Feel free to substitute chicken thighs if you prefer, just adjust the cooking time so that the chicken still reaches a temperature of 165.
- As written, with 1 or 2 whole chipotle chiles plus the adobo sauce, this chicken will definitely have some kick! If you don’t love heat, or are cooking for others who might not love it, suggest scaling back to 1 chipotle and 1-2 tablespoons adobo sauce. You can also cut open the chiles and scoop out the seeds to reduce the heat, though this will take an extra minute or two!
Calories: 296kcal, Carbohydrates: 11g, Protein: 33g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 97mg, Sodium: 257mg, Potassium: 585mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 8g, Vitamin A: 170IU, Vitamin C: 3.4mg, Calcium: 25mg, Iron: 1mg
Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag @nourishandfete on Instagram so I can see it!