Simple Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Curious about making homemade cranberry sauce? Even the most devoted canned cranberry aficionado can be converted by a spoonful of this delicious from scratch version. Best of all, it takes just 15 minutes and a handful of ingredients, and can be made several days ahead.
Can you believe it’s almost Thanksgiving!? Fall and early winter are my absolute favorite times of year, and I have to admit that Thanksgiving itself has really grown on me over time.
Maybe it’s something about having a kiddo or simply growing older, but I truly am thankful for a day to focus just on family, friends, and good food. All things considered, it’s remarkably un-commercialized, at least by the standards of other major American holidays.
Cranberry sauce is such a traditional menu item, and it also happens to be one of the easiest items to make from scratch.
Of course, there’s the canned stuff, which is iconic in its own right. But if, like me, you’ve always been wary of the stuff from a can–the still-visible ridges are not appetizing to me–you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how delicious cranberry sauce can be.
This homemade cranberry sauce is a beautiful balance of tart and sweet. Orange and a pinch of cinnamon add that little something extra.
More Tested and Perfected Thanksgiving Recipes
- Autumn Harvest White Sangria
- Savory Sage Pumpkin Hummus – a dreamy appetizer!
- Cranberry Pomegranate Baked Brie – guests will go to the mat for the last bite of this
- Instant Pot Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes – free up precious stovetop space
- Bourbon Molasses Pumpkin Pie
- Brown Butter Slab Pecan Pie
- Turkey Gouda Party Rolls with Honey Mustard Glaze – leftovers never looked so good!
And if you have extra cranberries, throw them in the freezer, whole, in the package! They freeze well and can be used in all sorts of dishes throughout the winter, like this balsamic cranberry chicken skillet, a tasty and easy weeknight dinner!
Enjoy! If you make this homemade cranberry sauce or any other recipe from Nourish and Fete, please rate it and leave a comment below. We love hearing from you, and other readers will benefit from your experience!
Simple Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 cup (99 grams) granulated sugar
- 12 ounces (340 grams) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the water, orange juice, and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in cranberries and cinnamon. Bring mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and let simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, until the cranberries pop and the sauce thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. The sauce will thicken further as it cools. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- This recipe is great for making ahead. It can be kept in the fridge for at least 3-4 days.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission (at no additional cost to you) from qualifying purchases made by clicking these links. As always, all recommendations and opinions are my own.