An arugula parmesan pine nut salad that’s ready in five minutes (really!), out-of-this-world delicious, and great for casual weeknights or entertaining. All the other salads are jealous.
Do you ever feel all proud of yourself for planning dinner, only to realize midway through the afternoon that you completely neglected to think of a side or vegetable? Probably that only happens to me, but it happens to me frequently enough that I imagine my forgetfulness balances out the rest of the world.
As a side note, I still tend to presume the world is filled with people more organized than I am. The kind of people who always have well-stocked fridges and neatly combed hair, although as I age there is mounting evidence to the contrary.
In any event, if and when you do forget about a side until the last minute, this salad will be a life saver. It simply defies imagination that something so incredibly simple is so delicious, but isn’t that what great cooking is ultimately about? Combining simple, fresh ingredients in a way that makes them all shine?
If your pine nuts aren’t already toasted, then warming them in a skillet for 2-3 minutes will be the most time-consuming part of this recipe. You may be tempted to skip the toasting (I often am!), but I highly encourage it. There is really nothing quite like the heavenly scent of toasted nuts wafting from your stovetop, and that couple of minutes pays off big time by bringing out a flavor that complements the fresh arugula and tangy, salty Parmesan so nicely.
Other than that, this is a dump and toss situation. Arugula, Parmesan, a little olive oil, lemon juice, black and red pepper, and … you’re done! Toss and serve.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Forgot to make a side or veggie? This 5 minute arugula parmesan pine nut salad has you covered!” quote=”Forgot to make a side or veggie? This 5 minute arugula parmesan pine nut salad has you covered!”]
You could measure the ingredients, but you really don’t have to, which saves even more time. A little drizzle, a little sprinkle, taste, and adjust however you like. This way you don’t even have any prep dishes to wash.
Now that is music to my ears!
Happy, healthy eating, friends!
Five Minute Arugula Parmesan Pine Nut Salad
- 3 handfuls fresh baby arugula
- 2 tablespoons freshly-grated or shaved Parmesan
- 1/3 cup pine nuts toasted
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Gently toast the pine nuts over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, if not already toasted.
- Add arugula and Parmesan to a large salad bowl. Drizzle evenly with olive oil and lemon juice, and sprinkle with black pepper and red pepper flakes. Add the pine nuts and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
- If you’re in a major hurry, this salad will still be delicious with un-toasted pine nuts, but they really are worth the extra 2 minutes if you can spare them. Toasting brings out the flavor and makes them complement the arugula so well.
- Now that I’ve made this approximately 11 billion times, I never actually measure the ingredients, but the proportions above give you an idea to get started. Feel free to taste before serving and adjust with more olive oil, lemon juice, Parmesan, or pepper as desired.