Classic one-bowl chewy brownies are packed with chocolate and made from scratch in just one bowl with pantry staples. Better than even the best boxed mix!
Confession time: despite my raging sweet tooth, brownies were traditionally one dessert I could resist. Call me crazy, they just weren’t my favorite. I’d try a bite, especially from a nice crackly corner or edge, but never found myself tempted to eat more than that.
And, truth be told, that was OK, because other people, including some with whom I share a home, inhale brownies. And it’s actually rather nice sometimes to make a dessert that others adore but that doesn’t sing seductively to me every time I walk through the kitchen.
Unfortunately, those days are gone, and it’s all thanks to this recipe.
I’d better find some more time to work out, because this is trending in all the wrong directions, calorie-wise. But it’s so worth it.
If you have the energy to make a boxed mix, this recipe is barely more involved, and is so so SO much more delicious. (And I’m no boxed mix hater – the Ghirardelli mixes are, in my opinion, very good and have helped me whip out a lightning-fast dessert many times. Not sponsored, just truth.)
Still, these brownies will blow a prefab mix out of the water, plus you get the pride of baking from scratch. Chewy, fudgy, sweet but not too sweet, rich but not dense, you get the picture. Plus, everything is combined in one bowl, a saucepan to be exact, so clean-up is kept to a minimum.Satisfy that craving NOW - these one-bowl chewy chocolate-packed brownies are what you need! Click To Tweet
Unfortunately for me, and possibly also for my husband, these brownies do not get sequestered for his consumption. In fact, I kept finding excuses while taking the pictures for this post to sneak a bite.. OK, just one more.. well, now that square’s almost gone, no point leaving those crumbs behind. Pretty soon a big chunk from the corner of the pan had gone missing, along with a huge glass of milk. Woops.
Pin this for the next time a brownie craving hits, and 40 minutes later you’ll be pulling the most amazing pan of chocolate goodness out of your oven. You will definitely not be sorry!
One-Bowl Chewy Brownies
Yield 16 brownies
These classic, chewy, chocolate-packed brownies are made from scratch in just one bowl with pantry staples, and better than even the best boxed mix.
- 3 oz. (85 g) unsweetened chocolate
- 1 stick (4 oz. or 115 g) unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups (265 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. (a large pinch) instant espresso or coffee powder (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. (2 g) flaky sea salt
- 2/3 cup (85 g) all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Line an 8”x8” square baking pan with parchment or foil, extending it up two sides. Coat the parchment or foil lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a medium, heavy-bottomed sauce pan set over low heat, stirring very frequently. When fully melted and smooth, remove from heat. Whisk in the sugar, espresso powder, and eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla and sea salt.
- Stir in flour with a spoon or spatula, then scrape batter into the prepared baking pan, using the spatula to press batter into the corners if necessary.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool, lift by parchment or foil to remove from pan, cut and serve.
Lightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen5