A simple Greek salad is so healthy and fast to throw together, and divine when tossed with this easy and light homemade dressing!
This simple Greek salad is not new to the blog, nor do I make any claims that it’s a revolutionary culinary creation. But, it is one of my very favorite go-to side dishes, and as a result, I thought it very much deserved some updated photos and recognition.
I love something that is so simple and easy to throw together, even at a moment’s notice. There’s also something wonderful about the combination of flavors and textures here – bright, juicy cherry tomatoes; bold Kalamata olives; creamy, salty Feta cheese; and plenty of fresh cruciferous crunch from cucumber, red onion, and lettuce.
Yes, I like to use romaine lettuce in my Greek salads, even though I think many “traditional” versions opt out of lettuce altogether. Certainly I’ve been known to skip it myself when I didn’t happen to have lettuce and didn’t feel like making a trip to the store. Delicious either way – to each his own!
More Simple Salads and Sides:
- French Carrot Salad
- 5-Minute Arugula Parmesan Pine Nut Salad
- Parmesan Herb-Crusted Red Potatoes
- Apple Cabbage Salad with Brown Sugar Cider Vinaigrette
The other part of this that I have to underscore is the amazing salad dressing. It’s very light and flavorful, and consists of basic pantry items mixed with fresh dill. So simple!
I very often have a jar of this dressing in the fridge. It is so easy to make, keeps a long time, and one batch goes a pretty long way – through at least three salad nights in my house.
Just store it in a small container – a mason jar or anything with a very tight-fitting lid will do – and give it another vigorous shake before serving again. I love it over the full Greek salad, but it’s equally good just to dress up some chopped cucumbers and tomatoes for the most delicious 2-ingredient salad you’ll ever come across!
Simple Greek Salad and Dressing
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh dill
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce sliced or torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1-2 handfuls pitted kalamata olives
- 1-2 handfuls cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 large cucumber peeled if desired, and sliced into thin medallions
- 1 handful crumbled feta cheese
- Submerge sliced red onion in a small bowl of cold water. Set aside to soak for about 15 minutes while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl or jar with a tightly fitting lid, and shake well to combine. (This can be done in advance and stored in the fridge for at least a week. Simply give the dressing another strong shake before adding it to the salad.)
- To assemble the salad, add lettuce to a large bowl. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons dressing and toss to coat. Drain red onions and pat dry with a cloth or paper towel. Add onions, olives, tomatoes, and cucumber to the lettuce; toss to combine. Taste and add additional dressing as desired. Top with a generous crumble of feta, and serve immediately.