Small batch chocolate cupcakes packed with chocolate chips and topped with the easiest rich, creamy chocolate frosting. The best petite treat – makes exactly 4!
Small batch desserts are adorable and fit a lovely niche. There are just days in life when you want (need?) something sweet, but also want to keep it simple. Not to mention, the prospect of a dozen plus cupcakes left over on your counter is a recipe for regret and bad feelings.
Meet small batch baking. The concept is beautiful, and this recipe speaks for itself. Chocolate cake, chocolate chips, chocolate frosting. The process is so simple—one bowl, no melting, no stand mixer. Combine the dry ingredients, give them a quick whisk, add the wet ingredients, give it another good stir, and boom! Dessert is in the oven.
As an added bonus, this frosting may truly change your life. It is hands down the simplest chocolate frosting I have ever made, yet sacrificed nothing in terms of texture or flavor. Make it, eat it, love it.
Bottom line, if you’re looking for a petite treat to enjoy with your sweetie, kiddos, or BFFs, I can’t recommend these enough!
Small Batch Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1/4 cup (35 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 4 tbsp. (2 oz.) unsalted butter very soft, almost melted
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and prepare a cupcake pan with 4 liners.
- To make the cupcakes, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda together in a small bowl. Add sugar, egg, oil, vanilla, and milk, and mix until well-combined. Stir in chocolate chips, if using.
- Divide batter evenly among 4 cupcake liners. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the frosting by placing the butter in a small bowl. If it is not yet very soft, microwave on medium power for 10-20 seconds, then stir. (It’s OK to have a few pools where the butter has melted.) Add the cocoa powder and stir with a small spatula. Add the powdered sugar and stir until frosting is even and thick. Add more powdered sugar or a few drops of milk if needed to adjust the consistency. Frost and garnish cooled cupcakes as desired.