Healthy tortellini soup is delicious, comforting, and ready in one pot in just 20 minutes! A no-fail recipe to memorize for busy weeknights!
If you are often tired at the end of a long day, laboring over a complicated dinner is naturally the last thing you want to do. Yet, everyone still needs to eat, and usually we cooks wind up feeling better about the whole affair if everyone sits down to something homemade and reasonably nutritious. Not to mention, delicious.
That’s where this healthy tortellini soup is like a secret weapon.Healthy 20-minute tortellini soup w/ leafy greens, tomatoes, & white beans is a weeknight hero!Click To Tweet
How to Make Healthy Tortellini Soup in 20 Minutes
The true beauty of this recipe is that it couldn’t be simpler. Everything cooks together in one pot, and there’s not much chopping or other prep work to extend the time that you’re standing in the kitchen.
You’ll start by sautéing some humble onions in olive oil. Use a Dutch oven or stockpot big enough to hold your finished soup – that’s the only pot you will need! After the onions are soft, add a bit of garlic, followed by canned diced tomatoes, a bit of oregano, and either chicken or vegetable stock.
Now comes the lovely simple part – this is your soup broth, and you’ll simply cook the tortellini right in there! Bring everything to a boil, let the tortellini cook most of the way, then add a few handfuls of spinach and some white beans, if using. The remaining kiss of heat will wilt the greens, warm the beans, and finish cooking the tortellini. Now you’ve got an amazing, hearty soup on your hands – that’s all there is to it!
Serve with some garlic bread or a crunchy French loaf, and dinner is done!
If You Like This Recipe…
… you might also enjoy healthy roasted tomato basil soup, creamy carrot soup with red pepper and kale, roasted tomato and garlic spaghetti, or spiced cashew curry chicken (the BEST one-pot crowd-pleasing meal).
Healthy 20-Minute Tortellini Soup
Yield 6-8 servings
Healthy tortellini soup with tomatoes, white beans, and spinach, ready in just 20 minutes, a no-fail recipe for busy weeknight dinners!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 ounce (400 gram) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups (1 liter) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 9 ounces tortellini, any variety (fresh or frozen)
- 3-4 cups fresh baby spinach, loosely packed
- 1 15 ounce (400 gram) can cannellini or other white beans, drained and rinsed
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- shaved Parmesan, for serving
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute, just until fragrant. Stir in the diced tomatoes and oregano.
- Add the broth, increase heat, and bring the mixture to a boil. When boiling, add the tortellini and cook according to package directions. One minute before the tortellini is done, stir in the spinach and white beans.
- When tortellini is fully cooked, remove pot from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste., and serve warm with grated Parmesan as desired.
Heavily adapted from an old Pioneer Woman recipe that I printed out years ago - when I still printed things - memorized and adapted over time, and to which I can no longer find the link - if anyone does know it, please let me know! The concept is so simple but well-worth admiring!
Let me know if you’ve tried this healthy tortellini soup or any other recipe on the blog, and then let me know how it went in the comments below! Don’t forget to rate the recipe. I love hearing from you!