You’ll be surprised how incredibly simple it is to make this sweet-tart lemon curd by yourself at home – just four ingredients, less than 30 minutes, and no specialty equipment.
Somehow, I had filed away curds and pretty much any type of homemade jam or spread in that category of “things other people make.” Do you have a category like that in your mind? It can be sort of silly, but once you get in your head that you just don’t – or can’t – do a particular thing, it can be super hard to break out of that thinking.
The only problem is, that’s how many of us get stuck in major food ruts! I mean, consistency and predictability are really good at times – you don’t want the stress of reinventing dinner every night! All the same, most of us get bored with eating or making the same things aaaaall the time, right?
Anyway, I have long admired photos of lemon curd and thought it would probably be pretty tasty spread on muffins or scones, but never seriously considered buying or making it myself. My goodness, though, am I glad to have righted that now.You're just four ingredients and < 30 minutes away from a pot of this silky lemon curd.Click To Tweet
I was shocked at how easy this was to make. Literally 4 ingredients and less than 30 minutes, and my fridge was stocked with a jar of the most delicious, smooth, sweet-tart lemon spread.
It has the most beautiful texture and incredible flavor. As tempting as it is to eat it straight by the spoonful, I’ve managed to be pretty circumspect and use it mostly as a mix-in for oatmeal and yogurt. And spread on some scones. And as a cupcake filling. Hmm… good thing this recipe makes a fairly generous batch.
Believe me, though – even with a generous yield, when you have a taste, you’ll wish you had more!
A jar of this would make a terrific gift from the kitchen, as well. Pretty much anyone would be thrilled to have this for a treat, maybe with a cute little label listing some of the zillion possible ways to use it?
If you have a couple of lemons sitting around, give this a try ASAP! You will be so happy you did!
How about you? Do you make spreads like this yourself? Very often? Almost never? Any favorite recipes? I am so smitten with this one, I might be on a roll here! Kitchen ruts, be gone. 😉
Silky Smooth Lemon Curd
Yield 1 cup
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- 6 tbsp. (3/4 stick; 3 oz.) unsalted butter, cut into 1” pieces
- In a small Dutch oven or heavy saucepan, combine the egg yolks and sugar; whisk briskly for about 1 minute. Add the lemon juice and zest and whisk again for 1 minute to blend.
- Set the pan over low heat and cook gently, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add pieces of butter. Let cool, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted and mixture comes approximately to room temperature. Cover tightly and store in the fridge.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma