10-minute roasted lemon pepper asparagus is the easiest, most delicious side dish!
Asparagus is, I think, an-oft maligned food. Perhaps you’ve had it prepared poorly, or simply don’t know a way to prepare it that makes you want to actually, you know, eat it. Fair enough.
However, if either of those applies to you, you’re doing yourself a disservice, because asparagus is nutritious – vitamins A, C, E, K, and B6, plus folate, iron, copper, calcium, protein, and fiber. It can be truly delicious, goes so well with countless main dishes, and is SO easy to prepare. All major wins for the home cook.
Also, asparagus is said to be an aphrodisiac. So, there’s a hidden bonus for you. 🙂
Last but not least, asparagus is coming into peak season with early spring right around the corner, so the freshest and best bundles will be popping up in stores and markets.
How To Season Roasted Asparagus
It’s no secret that roasting veggies is a wonderful way to bring out their best flavor, not to mention a super simple and hands-off way to prep a side dish.
In fact, this is so simple, I almost hesitate to describe it as a recipe at all. But I always think back to my own process of learning to cook, and know that I’ve really relied on and benefited from reading “recipes” for even the simplest dishes. Because, well, if you don’t know how to make something, you don’t know!
All you really need to do to prepare asparagus this way is trim off the tough ends (unless your asparagus is “pre-trimmed;” much is sold this way, especially in large grocery stores), then spread it out on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle a bit of olive oil and seasoning, then roast at 400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.
I absolutely love to season this with a bit of kosher salt, Parmesan cheese, and lemon pepper seasoning. The lemon pepper adds such a nice pop of freshness, and pairs so well with chicken or pasta main dishes.
My favorite pairing is to roast this lemon pepper asparagus with lemon thyme chicken – together they make the perfect fast, easy, homemade dinner.
So get out there and scoop up all the asparagus you can while it’s good and fresh, and get your veggie roasting on!
More Ideas to Serve This With:
Roasted Lemon Pepper Asparagus
- 1 bunch (about 1 lb or 500 grams) green asparagus
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 2-3 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C). If necessary, cut the tough ends off of the asparagus stalks.
- Spread asparagus stalks on a large baking sheet in a single even layer. Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle evenly with Parmesan, lemon pepper, and salt.
- Roast for 8-10 minutes, until stalks can be easily pierced with a fork. Serve immediately.
- For extra-easy clean-up, line the baking sheet with aluminum foil before preparing asparagus. And voila: zero dishes to wash!