One-pot sweet potato black bean chili is the vegetarian comfort food you didn’t know you were looking for – hearty, healthy, and packed with great flavor!
You guys, this chili. This chili has significantly improved my life, no exaggeration. You NEED to have this in your dinner arsenal, and with fall weather creeping in for many of us, there’s no better time to make a big batch and get cozy.
For YEARS, I looked askance at various vegetarian chili recipes. I assumed they were all imposters, sad shells of what chili could be. But, one by one, the stars aligned to send me towards this specific version.
I started to grow curious about eating meatless more often in general. Several members of my family eliminated meat from their diets. I began trying to incorporate more veggies into the main dishes I make, rather than relegating them to side dishes all the time.
And then, at just the right moment, I stumbled across the perfect recipe. Don’t you love it when that happens?
This is my take on the sweet potato black bean chili from What’s Gaby Cooking, barely adapted. To be honest, I’ve just tweaked the volume of an ingredient or two, and altered the instructions to reflect a slightly longer cooking time, which allows the chili to thicken more and, for me, yields the best result.
The recipe is terrific, and while I’m sure you could make additional changes to suit your taste, as is it’s honestly the best vegetarian chili I’ve ever had.
It’s very simple to make, as well. Essentially throw everything in a Dutch oven or stockpot and let it do all the work.
Well, the Dutch oven and, apparently, your two-year-old sous chef, who LOVES to stir and is surprisingly good at doing so without hurting himself or making a big mess. You can see his nubby hand and the tip of his curious little nose above. ♥
[clickToTweet tweet=”Nothing screams comfort food like chili! This sweet potato black bean version is where it’s at!” quote=”Nothing screams comfort food like chili! This sweet potato black bean version is where it’s at!”]
To be honest, I even prefer this to my normal beef chili, and no doubt this version is WAY healthier. Tons of sweet potato for flavor and nutrients, plus black beans and quinoa for filling protein, and a hearty dose of chili powder, chipotle chili, cumin, and tomatoes for major flavor.
I love it with just some avocado on top. And, uh, maybe Fritos. Once or twice. Don’t judge. 🙂
Just pull up a chair, grab a bowl, and dig in!
Make this one ASAP, and you’ll be happy to have it again and again! Enjoy!
One-Pot Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 large red onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- Juice of 1 lime
- To serve: avocado, cilantro, cheese, chips, as desired
- Warm the oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add the sweet potato and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, cumin, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the stock, black beans, tomatoes, and quinoa. Stir well and bring the mixture to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce heat to maintain a moderate simmer.
- Cook for 40-50 minutes, until the quinoa is cooked and the entire mixture has thickened like, well… chili!
- Remove pot from the heat and stir in the lime juice. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve with avocado, cilantro, cheese, or chips as desired.
Adapted, barely, from What’s Gaby Cooking
Looking for more meatless meal inspiration? Here’s the perfect round-up of ideas for you!