Creamy Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
This creamy, hearty Instant Pot wild rice soup warms you from the inside out and is so easy to make–a set and forget situation!
Let’s cut to the chase here: this soup is life. We’ve been making it on repeat all winter long, and it’s possible that I am obsessed. I credit these bowls of goodness with a huge percentage of my veggie intake this winter. And that’s not a complaint!
I warned you awhile back that wild rice is a new love of mine (see: dazzling wild rice winter salad) and this soup is a major part of the love affair.
A lot of soups taste great, but leave you wanting a sandwich about an hour down the line. Not so here. This soup sticks to ya ribs!
How to make wild rice soup in the Instant Pot
Seriously so easy. Let’s break it down, shall we?
- Add all the things–carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, seasoning, and, yes, wild rice.
- Pour in broth and stir.
- Cook for 40 minutes on high pressure.
- Stir in some kale (not strictly necessary but very delicious).
- Make and stir in a quick stovetop roux.
- Serve and enjoy!
Please use real wild rice!
Also a small PSA: please use actual wild rice!
A “wild rice blend” is most likely 90+% brown rice with a few flecks of true wild rice mixed in. It will NOT/NOT be the same.
Wild rice is most likely available in your regular grocery store near the “regular” rice. You might have to squint for it, and it is a little more expensive–it’s worth it, I promise! You only need one cup. And of course you can always buy it online. (affiliate link)
Side note on online shopping: this message is hitting a little close to home for me right now. 🙂
Again, this soup is filling and creamy and delicious. Soul-warming and belly-filling all on its own. So I highly recommend you add some crusty bread on the side and call it a day.
Make it. Eat it. Love it. And stay warm until spring. ♥
More cozy soups you’ll love:
- 20-minute tortellini white bean soup
- Instant Pot broccoli cheddar soup
- Creamy roasted butternut squash soup
- Creamy roasted tomato basil soup
- Carrot red pepper soup
Enjoy! If you try this Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup or any other recipe from Nourish and Fete, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. We love hearing from you, and other readers will benefit from your experience!
Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
Add at the end:
- 1 cup kale leaves, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk, any kind
- Add all the soup base ingredients, carrots through rosemary, to the Instant Pot and stir to combine. Cover, seal the lid, and cook on manual/high pressure for 40 minutes. When finished, use the quick release function to vent steam. Open the lid and toss in the kale, leaving the Instant Pot on the keep warm setting.
- To make the roux, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Pour the roux into the Instant Pot, stir everything together to combine well, and serve. Enjoy!
- Soup keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- It can also be frozen! Freeze in a plastic container and be sure to leave some extra room, it will expand when frozen. Defrost in the fridge, then reheat in a saucepan. The soup might separate a little bit as it reheats, but keep stirring, and it will come back together.
(Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum)
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases made by clicking these links, at no additional cost to you.